2013 proved to be an exceptionally winning year for Oregon breweries and brewers at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF). This year the Beaver state takes home 25 awards for specific beers including an impressive 10 gold medals, 7 silvers, and 8 bronzes. Further, two breweries and brewers received prestigious awards as best overall in their size rankings. Pelican Pub & Brewery of Pacific City, Oregon, under brewmaster Darron Welch received honors of Large Brewpub and Brewer of the Year. Welch’s brewery won 4 medals at the competition this year. In a newly added category, Very Small Brewery and Brewer of the Year, Baker City Brewing Company, the production brewery for Barley Brown’s Brewpub in Baker City, Oregon took home the honors under brewmasters Eli Dickison and Marks Lanham. Between the two breweries, they won 5 medals. Here’s a look at all of the winners from Oregon at this year’s GABF:
|Gold||Shredders Wheat||Baker City Brewing Co.||American-Style Wheat Beer|
|Gold||Cent’s and Censability||Old Town Brewing Co.||Fresh Hop Ale|
|Gold||Harvester Brewing IPA No. 1||Harvester Brewing||Gluten-Free Beer|
|Gold||Ching Ching||Bend Brewing Co.||American-Style Sour Ale|
|Gold||Hellshire III||Oakshire Brewing||Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer|
|Gold||Lovely||Bend Brewing Co.||Aged Beer|
|Gold||Bohemian Pilsner||Ninkasi Brewing Co.||Bohemian-Style Pilsener|
|Gold||Hand Truck||Baker City Brewing Co.||International-Style Pale Ale|
|Gold||Pallet Jack IPA||Barley Brown’s Brew Pub||American-Style India Pale Ale|
|Gold||German Sparkle Party Berliner Weiss||10 Barrel Brewing Co.||German-Style Sour Ale|
|Silver||Sage Fight Imperial IPA||Deschutes Brewery Bend Public House||Indigenous Beer|
|Silver||Gluten Free||Deschutes Brewery Bend Public House||Gluten-Free Beer|
|Silver||Myrtle||The Commons Brewery||American-Style Sour Ale|
|Silver||Tailgater Kölsch||Flat Tail Brewing Co.||German-Style Kölsch|
|Silver||Silverspot IPA||Pelican Brewing Co.||English-Style India Pale Ale|
|Silver||Urban Farmhouse Ale||The Commons Brewery||French & Belgian-Style Saison|
|Silver||Don Vanuchi “The Killer”||Baker City Brewing Co.||Foreign-Style Stout|
|Bronze||Fresh Hop Pallet Jack||Barley Brown’s Brew Pub||Fresh Hop Ale|
|Bronze||Little Green||Flat Tail Brewing Co.||American-Belgo-Style Ale|
|Bronze||Black Diamond||Bend Brewing Co.||American-Style Dark Lager|
|Bronze||Kiwanda Cream Ale||Pelican Brewing Co.||Golden or Blonde Ale|
|Bronze||Breakside ESB||Breakside Brewery – Pub Brewery||Classic English-Style Pale Ale|
|Bronze||Doryman’s Dark Ale||Pelican Brewing Co.||American-Style Brown Ale|
|Bronze||Passionfruit Sour||Breakside Brewery – Milwaukie Brewery||German-Style Sour Ale|
|Bronze||Tsunami Stout||Pelican Brewing Co.||Foreign-Style Stout|
A few other notes about this year’s winners from Oregon:
- Young breweries Breakside, The Commons, and Flat Tail take home multiple medals for the first time.
- Other multiple medal winners from Oregon include: Pelican, Barley Brown’s (Baker City Brewing), Deschutes, and Bend Brewing.
- Multiple Oregon breweries win multiple medals in five categories this year including those for Fresh Hop Ale, German-Style Sour Ale, American-Style Sour Ale, Gluten-Free Beer, and Foreign-Style Stout.
- First time GABF medal winning breweries from Oregon include Flat Tail Brewing of Corvallis under brewmaster Dave Marliave, and Old Town Brewing under brewmaster Bolt Minister.
- Bend Brewing Co. of Bend, Oregon won an impressive three medals under brewmaster Ian Larkin.
- Barley Brown’s Brewpub’s gold medal for their Palate Jack IPA was in the most entered category (252 entrees) at GABF which took two days to judge.
For a look at the complete list of winners at the 2013 GABF click here.
This post was written by Angelo on October 12, 2013