So one of the two Portland weekly papers, Willamette Week, took the initiative to honor the so-called best beers, breweries, festivals and beer bar in all of Oregon for the inaugural Oregon Beer Awards. On Wednesday, February 25th this will be released in Willamette Week’s 2015 Portland Beer Guide.
The awards ceremony took place last evening in Portland at the Doug Fir Lounge. People in attendance were treated to the first copies of the new beer guide. From briefly flipping through the guide it looks to be well done and presented for both the hard-core beer geek along with the casual beer drinker.
The staff at the Willamette Week made their own picks for its Top 10 Beers of 2015 and also included another set of awards compiled from the votes of 200 or so other participants. Willamette Week determined its own Top 10 Beers as they have done so in the past for its first two issues. In the first year of the guide Willamette Week voted Fearless Loki Red as one of the Top 10 from that year.
This year the papers Top 10 Beers are as follows:
- Engelberg Pilsner – Upright Brewing
- Peach Slap (Batch No. 1) – Deschutes Brewery Portland Public House
- Hop-A-Wheelie – Boneyard Beer
- Top O’ The Feckin Mornin’ – Feckin Brewery
- Schwarzbier – Pints Brewing
- Alpenglow – Fat Head’s Brewery Portland
- La Tormenta – Breakside Brewery
- Red Sea – Big Island/Caldera
- Altbier – Widmer Brothers Brewing
- Golden Promise Single Malt Pale Ale – pFriem Family Brewers
For the industry voting, the Willamette Week sent ballots to approximately 200 people in the craft beer industry. I’m guessing from the responses that the Willamette Week‘s mailing list doesn’t venture too far out of the Portland metro area. Read More…
This post was written by D.J. Paul on February 24, 2015