While Bailey’s Taproom will tend to feature its normal taplist while the Craft Brewers Conference takes over Portland from April 14th to 17th, The Upper Lip will be hosting a few unique beer events during the conference that are open to the public. This special week will feature tap takeovers from Founders Brewing, The Bruery and Block 15 along with a beer and doughnut pairing with Stone Brewing and Blue Star Donuts, and a vintage bottle tasting from The Ale Apothecary.
Here are all of the details that are currently available for each of the events.
Founders Tap Takeover
Tuesday, April 14th – 4:00pm
- Reds Rye IPA
- Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale
- Blushing Monk
- Imperial Stout
Stone and Blue Star Beer and Doughnut Pairing
Wednesday, April 15th – 11:30am to 2:30pm
What’s better than drinking beer in the middle of the day on a Wednesday? Drinking beer that’s been paired with doughnuts from Blue Star! Now that should help get you through your humpday…
Bill Sysak known as “Dr.” Bill in the craft beer community is the Craft Beer Ambassador and Certified Cicerone® for Stone Brewing Co. the 9th largest craft brewery in America. Bill is considered one of the foremost experts in beer and food pairings in the world. Come join him as he discusses his “Masterpairings” philosophy on pairing beer with food to The Upper Lip where he will be pairing Stone beers with the delicious donuts of Blue Star.
A special private session will kick off the event at 11:30am. Limited tickets are available in advance for $28. Click the button below to secure your entry now! Public tasting begins at 12:30pm through 2:30pm.
Private Session Admission from 11:30am – 12:30pm can be obtained by clicking here.
- Stone Matt’s Burning Rosids Imperial Cherry Wood Smoked Saison with Lemon Poppy
- Chris Banker / Stone / Insurgente / Xocoveza Mocha Stout with Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 20113 Stone Imperial Russian Stout with Valrhona Chocolate Crunch
- 2006 Double Bastard Ale with Real Maple Bacon
- 2013 Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian Barley Wine with Apple Fritters
- Enjoy By 4.20.15 IPA with Carrot Cake
Block 15 at The Upper Lip
Wednesday, April 15th – 4:00pm
The Bruery at The Upper Lip
Thursday, April 16th – 5:00 to 7:00pm
Meet the Bruers from The Bruery at The Upper Lip featuring a stellar Draft List of the following:
- Mélange #1 (ABV: 11.5%) – Blend of Imperial Stout and Flemish Red – Mélange #1 was the first in our line of barrel aged beer blends and continues to be one of our favorites. A curious blend of our bourbon barrel aged stout, Black Tuesday, along with our Flemish-style sour red ale, Oude Tart, this beer is unique and delightful. Forging flavors of toasty oak, vanilla and toffee along with notes of leather and dark fruit, both the full bodied essence of the bourbon barrel aged ale and the sour quality of our wild ale are present in this well rounded beer.
- Humulus Lager (ABV: 7.4%)-Imperial Pale Lager-Humulus Lager is an extremely aromatic, hoppy beer, with citrus, pine, and intense herbal characteristics. We brew this beer with more than 3 pounds of hops per BBL, and it shows. We also use rice, a typically despised ingredient in beer, to lighten the body and make it more true to the American lager style.
- Jardinier (ABV: 4.9%) – Belgian-Style Pale Ale – Jardinier, which is French for “gardener”, was inspired by the fresh, sessionable beers on the Belgian dinner table. Bright and flavorful with an assertive hop character, Jardinier is a perfect beer for any occasion, casual or ornate.
- Or Xata (ABV: 7.2%) – Blonde Ale with Cinnamon, Vanilla and Lactose-Horchata is a traditional, sweet, milky drink originating in Spain and Latin America that has become quite popular in Southern California, particularly with Mexican cuisine. Our take on the traditionally non-alcoholic drink is a blonde ale brewed with a heavy dosing of rice, cinnamon and fresh vanilla beans along with lactose for a litle extra creamy character. If you didn’t know better, you’d think it was carbonated horchata. The flavor is hard to describe, but for those who know it, you know you love it.
- Black Tuesday (ABV: 19.7%) – Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout – For most of you, Black Tuesday needs no introduction. This beer is our take on a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. Varying slightly from year to year, the ABV is at nearly 19% for 2013. Rich caramel, toasted malt, vanilla, burnt wood and anise are just a few of the many flavors in this rich, decadent imperial stout.
- Sucré Tequila Barrel Aged (ABV: 15%) – Old Ale – The traditional sixth anniversary gift is candy or sugar, so we’ve named our 6th anniversary ale “Sucré” which is “sugar” in French.Sucré is our sixth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year’s production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Sucré is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.
The Ale Apothecary Vintage Bottle Tasting
Thursday, April 16th – 1:00 to 3:00pm
Vintage bottle tasting with beers TBD.
The Upper Lip
720 SW Ankeny St