Bend, Oregon brewery’s “Street Pub” raised $400,000 for charity in its first year
Bend, Oregon– 07 December 2015 – Crafted for Community, the Deschutes Brewery Street Pub kicked off its first year with a bang, raising a total of nearly $400,000 for charity in seven cities. At each stop, the brewery partnered with a local charity and donated 100 percent of proceeds to help that charity achieve its mission. With an estimated 60,000 beer fans who turned out to drink 892 kegs of damn tasty beer, the Street Pub is collectively one of the largest beer parties of the year.
“When we dreamed up this new program, we knew it would be big – after all the Street Pub itself is over 400 feet long — but the support of communities across the nation and the turnout of beer fans to support their local charities surpassed our expectations,” said Joey Pleich, field marketing manager for the brewery who runs the Street Pub initiative. “Being able to give back in this way, in communities where we sell our beer and in places that we love, is incredibly gratifying.”
Here’s a look at how Deschutes Brewery’s Street Pub assisted the nonprofits it partnered with in each city:
- Bend, OR (soft launch) : $7,500 donation to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Bend to help fund the local Girls on the Run Program.
- Philadelphia, PA: $38,000 donation to the Vetri Community Partnership to cover costs for preparing healthy meals in public schools all over the Philly area.
- Cleveland, OH: $47,000 donation to the Western Reserve Land Conservancy to reforest Cleveland by planting over 100 community cornerstone trees.
- Chicago, IL: $69,762 to Alliance for the Great Lakes to provide 45 new classes giving students hands-on experience in restoration activities in the region.
- Minneapolis, MN: $79,700 to Second Harvest Heartland to provide nearly a quarter million meals for needy families in Minnesota.
- Denver, CO: $56,000 to Bicycle Colorado, to encourage and promote bicycling safety & education, improve road conditions and provide a voice for bicyclists in Colorado.
- Sacramento, CA: $99,741 to Runnin’ for Rhett to fund nearly 4,000 children to participate in after school youth fitness programs.
The charitable giving from the Street Pub program is in addition to the brewery’s ongoing annual $1 per barrel commitment to give back in order to build strong, healthful communities. In 2015, this giving commitment equaled $335,000.
The Street Pub program received Brewbound’s 2015 Award for “Cause of the Year” at its San Diego conference last week. The Street Pub tour dates and locations for 2016 will be announced soon.
About Deschutes Brewery
Named as OUTSIDE’s Best Places to Work for three years in a row (2013-2015), Deschutes Brewery was founded in 1988 as a brew pub in Bend, Oregon. Family and employee-owned, the brewery is known for brewing a diverse line-up of award-winning beers including the popular Black Butte Porter, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and Fresh Squeezed IPA. From the beginning, the focus has been on crafting the best beer and cuisine using only the finest ingredients. In 2008, the brewery opened a second pub in Portland’s Pearl District. Deschutes Brewery now ships beer to 28 states, the District of Columbia, and around the world from its main brewing facility located on the banks of the Deschutes River. To find out more, visit www.DeschutesBrewery.com.