Here’s a press release from Tabor tavern that should spark Portlander’s interest:
Tabor Tavern, a neighborhood tavern with good food and drink, welcoming staff and fair prices, is slated to open in east Portland this spring. Located at the northwestern edge of the Mt. Tabor neighborhood on the corner of 53rd and east Burnside, Tabor Tavern will serve pub fare, fresh-brewed craft beers on draft, as well as a full complement of spirits and wines. Tabor Tavern will be open 7-days a week for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Children will be permitted until 8:00 p.m.
Owner Ken “Zig” Naffziger has more than 25 years of industry experience, including stints as regional manager with McMenamins and Lompoc Brewing. “It has been a life-long dream to have my own place,” said Naffziger. “I am an avid fan of pub culture and hope to create the kind of place fellow fans would like to congregate.” Naffziger brought in restaurant consultant, Sean Herron of Big Idea Group as advisor on this project.
Tabor Tavern’s menu will be influenced by classic tavern fare, as interpreted by Lompoc head brewer and CIA alum, Bryan Keilty and the world travels of Naffziger and his wife, food and beverage PR executive, Kristen Siefkin. Sample items include:
· Fried chickpeas with smoked paprika and lime; Parmesan crusted fried Mortadella; and tempura bacon; Snake River Farms’ Waygu-fat French fries
· Lager-steamed mussels with chorizo, garlic, and mustard
· Cavolo Nero (black kale) salad with barley, marinated mushrooms, and shredded carrots in a lemon-parmesan vinaigrette
· Red wine braised flank steak sandwich with roasted red peppers and horseradish aioli
· Triple play mini burgers (beef, lamb, turkey)
· Mac and Cheese with kale and sausage
Interior features will include refinished cement floors, antique rugs, and a reclaimed wood bar. In addition to 65 seats indoors, there will be outdoor seating during fair weather. Tabor Tavern will have ample parking, both on-street and in its own lot. The expected opening date for Tabor Tavern is mid-May.