Up on the hill in Mt. Tabor is a small cheese shop that continues to amaze its patrons on each and every visit. Cheese Bar is turning 4 years old this week and to celebrate, they will host 6 evenings of special events beginning tonight with The Commons Brewery.
If you have never been to Cheese Bar, the establishment offers six taps of well curated craft beer along with many rare, hard to find bottles. They also offer up a solid wine selection that along with their beer selection pairs quite well with their excellent array of fine cheese. And if you’re looking for something more substantial than just cheese, they also provide an inviting menu of salads, soup, sandwiches and dinner plates.
Cheese Bar owner Steve Jones knows his cheese. Jones won top honors at the 2011’s Best Cheesemonger in the World held in Long Island City, NY. He is also the one in charge of selecting the cheeses to be paired alongside each of the beers at the annual Portland Beer & Cheese Fest.
The festivities kick off tonight beginning at 7pm at Cheese Bar when The Commons Brewery will be releasing their collaborative beer, Biere de Garde on draft. This is an amber french farmhouse ale that is soft, clean and malty. In addition to Biere de Garde, they’ll also be pouring one of the last kegs of Gin Enkel, a belgian table beer aged in Old Tom Gin barrels with apricots. Plus they will have Brotherly Love bottles available.
This week marks the 4th anniversary of Cheese Bar at their current location. To celebrate, Jones and company have planned a week of tasty events. Listed below is what the rest of the week’s line up looks like:
- Wednesday, March 5th, 6 to 8 – Super Raclette! Like the typical fabulous Raclette experience, but more!
- Thursday, March 6th, 5 to 8 – Come and meet Angela of Consider Bardwell Farm, producers of award-winning artisan cheese from Vermont.
- Friday, March 7th, 5 to 7 – Meet Faith from local confection Bees and Beans and sample her delectable bars and other surprises.
- Saturday, March 8th, 3 to 5 – Olympic Provisions will be in the shop tasting their cured meats and premiering pickles that will be on Cheese Bar shelves soon.
- Sunday, March 9th, 12:30 to 2:30 – Anne from Helioterra Wines will be pouring samples of her reds from this lauded local, urban winery.
We find Cheese Bar to be a very nice inviting place to enjoy some elaborate cheeses alongside a mighty fine craft beer or wine. And we are not the only ones, they have 4-1/2 star review on Yelp. The week long celebration continues at Cheese Bar through Sunday.
6031 SE Belmont
Portland, OR 97215
Tuesday – Sunday
11am – 11pm