After the successful Kick Kick Score! on Hawthorne Avenue, the Hawthorne Boulevard Business Association is back as they announce their annual Hawthorne Street Fair that will take place on Sunday, August 17th from 11:00 to 7:00pm. For the first time in 31 years, Hawthorne will be closed from SE 30th to SE 38th Avenues to allow for more fun filled festivities.
There will be two beer gardens, one located outside Bazi Bierbrasserie (SE 32nd Ave & Hawthorne) that will be featuring the return of Mighty Mites Session Beer Fest that will also feature a live DJ. The other beer garden will be held 18 blocks to the east Eagles Lodge (SE 50th parking lot) with live bands during the course of the day. Both beer gardens are family and pet friendly, and are cash only.
The music will feature Cuban, blues, funk, rock and roll, Middle Eastern and the hardest working sound tech in the business, Martin John Gallagher, making sure you hear it all at its best. Sound reinforcement provided by Showcase Sound and Music.
Main Stage Performers at SE 34th & Hawthorne
- 11:00am – Portland School of Rock
- 1:00pm – Xavier Tavera
- 2:30pm – Woody Moran
- 4:00pm – Kelly Brightwell
- 5:30pm – Brothers of the Baladi
Don’t be afraid to bring the family out. From 11:00 to 4:00pm there will be many various family activities including face painting, bubbles, sidewalk sale, Circus Cascadia activities, Do Jump stilt walkers, Little Wing musical art projects, PDX kids calendar photo booth and prize wheel featuring a Kids at Heart gift certificate drawing. Here is more info on the kids activities:
Kids at Heart at 3445 SE Hawthorne (Back area parking lot)
- 11:00am – Lorna Miller “Little Kids’ Jamboree” music
- Noon – Penny’s Puppets puppet show
- 1:00pm – Mr Ben ukulele music
- 3:00pm – Olive Rootbeer and Dingo show
Other Activities taking place on Hawthorne include:
- Fyberworks (4300 SE Hawthorne) – Kitchie Kitchie Kool Garage Sale
- One with Heart Tulen Center (4231 SE Hawthorne) – Martial arts demonstrations
- Sidewalk sales and special activities at Elements, Metro, Presents of Mind and other shops
- Local businesses will be joined by local folks selling their art, crafts and products, or sharing organizational information.
Due to the street closure there will be some Tri-Met transportation and parking concerns. Guests are encouraged to bike, walk or take public transportation. Additional bike corrals will be found at the end of each closing intersection (SE 30th and SE 38th). Tri-Met Line 14 Bus Reroutes. Westbound reroutes on SE Stark between Cesar Chavez and SE 30th. Eastbound reroutes on SE Belmont between SE 30th and Cesar Chavez.
Most outdoor activities will be complimentary or cash only. Visit your local bank along Hawthorne or come prepared. For more information about the Street Fair visit www.thinkhawthorne.com.