Oregon Brewers Guild Announces First Annual Statewide Brewery Open Houses
This President’s Day weekend, dozens of Oregon breweries and brewpubs will open their doors to visitors for the state’s first annual Zwickelmania, a one day event similar to the open houses held by Oregon wineries over Memorial Day and Thanksgiving weekends. Zwickelmania, hosted by the Oregon Brewers Guild (OBG), is a free statewide event that offers visitors a chance to tour Oregon breweries, meet the brewers and sample their favorite beers – all during Oregon’s Sesquicentennial weekend.
“This is a once a year chance for consumers to go into breweries that might not usually open to the public,” says Oregon Brewers Guild Executive Director Brian Butenschoen. “Since 1852, Oregon breweries have been a part of the cultural fabric of Oregon and we’re proud to be open to the public during Oregon’s Sesquicentennial.”
Zwickelmania takes its name from the zwickel, or sample port, which is mounted on the outside of the fermentation or conditioning tanks and allows brewers to take samples for quality assurance and control. Similarly, Zwickelmania offers a unique opportunity to taste beers where they were produced while interacting with the brewers who created them.
Zwickelmania will take place at breweries and brewpubs across the state on February 14th, from 1:00p.m. – 4:00p.m. Some breweries will open additional hours and visitors are encouraged to contact individual locations for exact times. Admission to all Zwickelmania events is free, with some breweries offering complimentary sample tastings. Close-toed shoes will be required for any visitors entering brewing facilities.
Participating OBG members include:
- BridgePort Brewing Co. – 1313 NW Marshall, Portland. Brewery tours at 1:00p.m., 3:00p.m. and 5:00p.m.
- Cascade Brewing Raccoon Lodge and Brewpub – 7424 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, Portland. 1:00 – 4:00p.m. with brewery tours, pre-release tasting of Dark Day I.P.A., Sang Noir on tap and barrel tasting.
- Deschutes Brewery – 901 SW Simpson Ave., Bend. Brewery tours from 12:00 – 4:00p.m. with gift shop and tasting room open from 12:00 – 5:00p.m.
- Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom – 8 Fourth St., Hood River. Brewery tours at 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00p.m.
- Full Sail Brewing Co. – 506 Columbia St., Hood River. Tours on the hour at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00p.m. (Kids 12 and over welcome on tours with parent or guardian)
- Full Sail Brewing Co. at McCormick & Schmicks Harborside Restaurant & Pilsner Room – 307 SW Montgomery, Portland. Open for brewery tours from 1:00 – 4:00p.m.
- Hopworks Urban Brewery – 2944 SE Powell Blvd., Portland. 12:00 – 5:00p.m. with brewery tours, cellar beer tasting and games of washoes.
- Laurelwood Public House and Brewery – 5115 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland. Brewery tours from 1:00 – 4:00p.m. upon request. Samples of Vanilla Porter and informal chocolate and beer pairing in the brewery.
- McMenamins Crystal Brewery – 1332 W. Burnside St., Portland. Open for tastings from 1:00 – 4:00p.m.
- Ninkasi Brewing Co. – 272 Van Buren St., Eugene. 1:00 – 4:00p.m. Tours on the half hour and samples.
- Pelican Pub and Brewery – 33180 Cape Kiwanda Dr., Pacific City. 12:00 – 5:00p.m. with hourly tours and a firkin tapping of Riptide Red.
- Pyramid Breweries Mac Tarnahans Taproom – 2730 NW 31st Ave., Portland. Brewery tours at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00p.m. Samples of new seasonal release.
- Rock Bottom Brewery – 206 SW Morrison, Portland. 1:00 – 4:00p.m. Brewery will be open for tours and samples.
- Rogue Ales – 2320 OSU Drive, Newport. Brewery tour at 3:00p.m.
- Roots Organic Brewing Co. – 1520 SE 7th Ave. Portland. 1:00 – 4:00p.m. with brewery tours on the hour.
- Widmer Brothers Brewing Co. – 924 N. Russell St., Portland. Brewery open house with bottle samples, special beers on draft from the Gasthaus and brewery tours on request.
For a complete list of Oregon breweries participating in Zwicklemania please visit http://oregonbeer.org/zwickelmania.