Portland will be seeing the opening of its second location from The Growler Guys. On March 13 and 14, The Growler Guys – Portland South Waterfront will host its official Grand Opening. However, if you want to take a sneak peek of the space they will be open to the public on Thursday, March 12th.
Conveniently located on the Portland Streetcar line, just south of Elizabeth Caruthers Park, The Growler Guys – Portland South Waterfront will be a welcomed addition as a craft beer destination to the once struggling development on Portland’s Southside. This new location in the South Waterfront will join its already operating franchised location in inner Southeast Portland that opened last year.
So this new outpost will be joining the trend of many other new establishments in and around the Portland metro area labeling themselves as “growler shops”. This label seems to be a bit misleading as many are in all reality, just beer bars that offer an abundant amount of taps with little atmosphere. This new location will offer about 10 tall bar style tables with seating and a large screen television that would tend to keep patrons lingering around and not popping in only to grab a growler to go.
Many of these shops serve beer that has been labored over; including barrel aged beer, which should rarely be sold in a growler. This should never happen but the brewery reps and distributors major concern is about placement and using these beers as leverage for bringing in its less popular offerings.
For the grand opening at The Growler Guys – Portland South Waterfront, the first 1,000 growler fill purchases will come with a free 32 or 64oz growler bottle. With 48 taps of beer and cider, as well as 7 taps of kombucha to choose from, it shouldn’t be hard to take advantage of this deal. You can also expect some swag from the breweries, including some of the makers themselves in attendance.
Here is the list of happenings taking place on Friday and Saturday.
- Ecliptic (Orbiter, Oort Imp Stout) and Laurelwood (Workhorse, Free Range) 3-6pm
- Occidental (Hefeweisen, Lucubrator Doppelbock) and Wild Ride (Big Booty Golden Ale, Mount Up Maple Brown) 6-9pm
- Rogue Ales (7 Hop IPA & Fresh Roast Ale) and Breakside (Amuse, Tropicalia) 1-3pm
- Widmer (Hopside Down, Saison A Fluers) 2-4pm
- Green Flash (Le Freak, Symposium, Imperial IPA) and Woodchuck (Barrel Select, Amber Cider)
- Gilgamesh (DJ Jazzy, Dubbel or Nothing) 5-7pm
- Rev Nat’s Cider (Sacrilege, Revival) 6-8pm
- Firestone Walker (Union Jack, Double Jack) and New Belgium (Brett, 1554, Rampant) 7-9pm
Stay up to date on the South Waterfront happenings by checking its Facebook page for updates. Also, their current taplist can be found here.
The Growler Guys – Portland South Waterfront
3739 SW Bond Ave
Portland, OR 97239