Portland festival features world’s best bike movies, New Belgium opening night street party, Brewery Bike Tour with filmmakers, Filmmaker Q&A sessions
Portland’s 14th annual Filmed by Bike Film Festival returns to the historic Hollywood Theatre with five unique programs showcasing the world’s best independent bike movies. The jury-selected film festival runs May 6-8, 2016 and it kicks off with the New Belgium Brewing Street Party at Velo Cult Bike Shop followed by two “opening night” film screenings at the Hollywood Theatre. Each screening will show 10-15 short, exciting movies featuring love stories, glorious feats of adventure, animated shorts and more. Other programming includes an adventure-themed program, filmmaker Q&A sessions and a craft brewery bike tour with visiting and local filmmakers.
“Filmed by Bike presents the world’s best independent bike movies at the festival, and we also present on the road with our new traveling program,” says Festival Director and Founder Ayleen Crotty. “We love hosting the festival in a city with an unbridled passion for two wheels and an appreciation for the cinematic side of the films with gorgeous footage and innovative filmmaking techniques.”
2016 Highlights + Background
- Filmed by Bike was founded in 2003 by Ayleen Crotty.
- 59 films. 55 filmmakers. 19 countries.
- The festival features film genres including documentaries, animation, dramas and comedies from Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Italy, India, Slovenia and, of course, Portland.
- Awards ceremony will honor top filmmakers with the Golden Helmet Award, presented by Travel Oregon, and the Independent Music Award, presented by Radio Room.
- The festival occurs each May in Portland, Oregon. The new Filmed by Bike Traveling Program is open for screenings in host cities. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Filmmaker Q&A sessions.
- Intermission Speed Raffle with over $3,000 in prizes presented by Solemates Socks.
- Brewery Bike Tour on Sunday, May 8 with visiting and local filmmakers.
Filmed by Bike Film Festival: 2016 Festival Trailer from Filmed by Bike on Vimeo.
New Belgium Street Party- Friday, May 6, 2016
The New Belgium Street Party opens the festival on Friday, May 6 from 5-9:30 p.m. with a party adjacent to Velo Cult Bike Shop and Tavern. The free event is all ages and features live entertainment, the New Belgium beer garden, food vendors, video confessional storytelling booth, a photo booth, parking lot games and a gigantic bike parking area.
Tickets + Information
- Showtimes and complete schedule are available online at FilmedByBike.org
- Cost: $11 per show; $55 for VIP Festival Pass that offers exclusive screenings and events, unlimited access to all screenings and a VIP-only screening, Filmmaker Brewery Bike tour and beer garden discounts.
- Screenings and events are open to all ages.
- Tickets are on sale now at FilmedByBike.org or at the Hollywood Theatre box office on opening night, space allowing.
- Contact Info: FilmedByBike.orgor 971-221-7228
Filmed by Bike benefits NW Documentary, a non-profit organization that helps people tell their stories through film. Sponsors include: New Belgium Brewing, Amtrak, Travel Oregon, Brompton, Yakima, Portland Design Works, Showers Pass and Radio Room.